We are part of something bigger than ourselves, and when we
each turn our goodness and compassion outward, we can create, learn, and love.
💗 💗 💗 💗 💗 💗
What a great first week we had in grade two!
It was wonderful to see our familiar friends as well as have the amazing opportunity to meet new ones!
This year at Andrew Sibbald we are using the book I Am We - written by Susan Verde and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds as a school wide anchor text to inspire our work and learning around community. This text will guide classroom discussions, activities and projects about community. It encourages students to understand that caring for themselves enables them to care for others and help build strong and supportive communities. It highlights - compassion, kindness, connection, togetherness as well as collective action.
Before reading this book together, I asked the students what they thought the title I Am We meant to them. Here are some student responses:
- DM - "I think it might mean that I am some of all the people."
- MS - "Maybe the girls name is We."
- HP - "Like it's about everyone...like how we are all together."
Once we read a couple of pages we understood the meaning a little better and talked about the difference between Me times We times.
- EJ - "Well it's just me when I am asleep in my room."
- NA - "When I have to go to my room because I'm in trouble it's just me."
- CM - "When I want to take a break from my sister then it's just me."
- BF - " We is family!"
- QW - "It's definitely we when I'm at my lessons for swimming and gymnastics because there are other kids there!"
- WD - "When you are meeting new people or talking to others it is a we time."
Next I asked the students to share what the thought was important about being part of the We. Here are the ones the class decided were the most important from the list they came up with...
- Listen and follow the directions to show respect
- Follow the group plan
- Think of others
- Be kind and help each other
- Remember your manners (please, thank you, sorry, you're welcome)
- Include others
- Leave Heartprints not Hurtprints
I would say WE are off to a great start!
I am looking forward to sharing our I Am We journey throughout the year!
Here are some Grade 2 snapshots from the week...


